Tuesday, June 21, 2011

photography01

basic photog class:  lesson 1


while enjoying the nice weather and snapping pics of little miss outdoors, I remembered a gift from my photog friend, ran inside to grab it, and was so excited to start lesson 1.  I have been waiting for nice weather to get started on this begginers photo class from 2 peas in a bucket .

I bought my canon rebel xs because I wanted to take sweet little pictures of my baby and wanted to take rockstar shots for my etsy store.  I will admit, I had an altered conception of {photography} to say the least.  I was under the impression you drop a few several hundred $dollars$, get a nice camera, and all of a sudden your pics just looked amazing.  well, imagine my disappoinment upon buying my first slr camera and my photos were not winning any awards.  I realized I had a lot to learn but had no clue where to start.  thanks to my friend molly, she so kindly printed off all the lessons and put them in a handy dandy little notebook and made it so pretty and gave it to me as a christmas gift.. GENIUS.. 

so, if you're like me and need some very basic direction to get to know your camera and want to take better pictures, then join me as I do this 12 weeks to better photos.  I will link up each week to the content and then share the photos I have taken and you do the same...  sound fun?? ok, let's get started.

lesson 1: aperature basic training {click on this here link and it will take you to the content}

I will be the first to say, what? aperature? maybe I should continue to shoot in green square {a term dubbed by my friend jolene} another way of saying automatic.  well, I am going to give it 12 weeks and see if I am brave enough to shoot in AV or whatever you photog's call it, or continue in green square.

I did lesson 1 and I vow to shoot in AV all week long.  I changed nothing on my camera except the f/stop, like it said to do.  here is what I came up with...


gus {the gorilla} is more in focus here, while the plants in the back are out of focus




it seems like both gus and the plants are in focus here...












 
to me, gus is in focus but not as sharp and the plants are also in focus
 


is that what is supposed to happen.. I wasn't convinced so I tried a few more times...


I see it!  first flower in focus, the rest a nice "blur"

front flower still in focus, background not quite as blurred...

everything in focus!



and again...


front lily's in focus, and bushes in background blurred

 

 
front lily's in focus, back bushes more in focus but still a little fuzzy...



mostly everything in focus...

so, play around this week with your camera, but shoot in AV mode only.  take some different shots while adjusting your f/stop.. next week, we will add in the next lesson...

love, 
elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment