Sunday, June 26, 2011

pinwheel themed party

Hi Friends, I'm Alissa and I blog over at Rags to Stitches. I'm so excited to be sharing this really fun and easy tutorial with you. AND, I'm even more excited to be guest blogging for the amazing and truly talented Casey's blog, A Little Artsy. Eek! I'm doing cartwheels around my living room. Ok, maybe I'm slouched on my couch in front of the tv, but I'm promise, I'm beyond excited! A couple weeks ago we celebrated my daughter's 3rd birthday with a pinwheel themed party. I thought it would be fun to make mini cupcake toppers to share with all my fabulous readers.

Materials Needed:
~ Card Stock Scrapbooking Paper
~ Rhinestones
~ Bamboo Fork Toothpicks
~ Cutting Mat/rotary cutter/ruler or a paper cutter
~ Scissors
- Hot Glue Gun


Step 1: Cut 3 inch by 3 inch squares with either a cutting mat and rotary cutter or a paper cutter. Since I'm using 3 colors for the pinwheels I made sure to cut an even number of each.

 Step 2: Fold your paper square in half from corner to corner on the diagonal.

Step 3: Refold the paper square in half, on the diagonal, the other direction. Tip: When you look at your square there should be 2 creases in the paper. See below picture. 

Step 4: Grab your scissors and make a small cut from each corner towards the center. Leave 1/4 of an inch from the center uncut.

Step 5: Fold up every other corner. Make sure you fold the corners up so that the part of the paper that you want to show will show. I made the mistake of doing that wrong the first try. Good thing I realized it before I started gluing.

Step: 6: This is the point where you will need your Elmer's X-TREME Glue, glue gun, rhinestones, and toothpicks. 

Step 7: Put the Elmer's X-TREME glue on the first corner you folded up and glue it to the center of the square. Make sure that the side of the scrapbook paper you want to show can be seen once you've glued the corners down.


Step 8: Continue to do this for the other 3 corners that you folded up. Tip: Make sure to hold the the paper and the glue together so that it can dry. It does take a little while to dry completely. Or you can use your hot glue gun just to make sure it all holds.



Step 9: Then use your Elmer's glue or glue gun to glue down the rhinestone, button, or decorative centerpiece you want to use.

Step 10: Use the glue to glue the toothpick to the back of the pinwheel.  Voila, you're done!!


One down, now to finish the rest.

Here are all 24 pinwheel cupcake toppers finished. 

I really excited about the way they turned out and my daughter loved them!!

Thanks Casey for letting me visit. I hope you will all pop by and visit me sometime.






No comments:

Post a Comment