Sunday, October 21, 2012

crayon drips.

quick + fun + cheap! art.
post by kacia 

 Materials:
  • Canvas: be sure to nab a coupon online/newspaper/mail for Joann's, Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I purchased my canvas from Michael's, and it was already 60% off: huzzah!
  • Crayons: I purchased 2 big boxes. You know, the one with the sharpener in the back. [Side note: when I was a kid, I remember them being organized by color ....is that just my imagination? Because these boxes were put in every which way. Oh well!] Depending on your canvas size, you'll use more/less. Also, depending on what colors you like + want to emphasis - you'll use more/less.... How redundant of me.
  • Hot glue gun.
  • Heat gun.
Okay. So first you'll want to lay out your crayons in the order you want them. I did this step, stood back + took a look...changed a few...stood back.....asked Andy....texted a picture to my sister .... you get the idea. Until I had the perfect progression of R.O.Y.G.B.I.V. :)


Next, decide on how you want to glue these down. 

 What I mean is this: what part of the label do you want showing? At first I started gluing them down so "Crayola" showed on each crayon. I glued about 5 down before I realized it looked more like a backdrop for a Crayola commercial....OY. I ripped those off, and tried a few different ways. I landed on showing the color name. I liked the way it looked, but I also like the names. :) I still think the best is when they look completely random - but that's always easier said than done.
Use your hot glue gun + glue!


Okay. Here is where I changed things up just a little bit. Every post I read on how to produce this melty art used a hair dryer, but alas: I couldn't find the one we kept for Wyler when he gets a bath. So, I happen to have an awesome neighbor [Hi Heather!] who has a heat gun she uses for embossing. I decided to give it a go, and I've now decided it is the way to go if you're going to do this project. Here is why: it took me 15 minutes, instead of the hours I read about! But that being said: be ready for melted wax! It melts fast!
So.
Go outside/basement/garage, but be sure to put out cardboard or newspaper. The wax has a mind of its own.....
Turn on that heat gun + melt! And really? It's totally up to you how melted you want the final product to be. I knew that I wanted quite a bit of white canvas left at the bottom of my masterpiece. So, other than a few splatters, the majority of the canvas is still white.
And voila!! I can't wait to show y'all once I have everything hung up! If you look closely in the photo above, you can see Harlow's whiteboard desk I refinished for her! She is so proud to sit there + color + "read" books!


Have you created a melty-Crayon-masterpiece? I'd love to see a monochromatic one! Leave links to photos!! I want to see!!
xoxo
 

No comments:

Post a Comment