Friday, November 23, 2012

meet the illustrator.

Hello! My name is Janie Petersen and I LOVE to draw! I recently illustrated my very first children's book called 'The Creation of Colour', which was the most wonderful adventure! I loved every moment of creating it! For 4 weeks straight I sat down at my drawing table, turned on some music, light up my candles and watched the piece of paper come alive in front of me. 





When I read the beautifully written story by C.L. Burns for the very first time I was already able to picture some of the scenes in the book. I used a range of pencils and water colours for my drawings, which allowed me to create a realistic look without loosing the sketchiness of the pencil lines. 

The story is about a little girl who is born into a world that has no colour, but her tribe soon realised that she has a very special gift and that everything she touches changes into colour. 



This is one of the scenes in the book where she travels the world and touches all the animals like this leopard and her cub. I often use my own photographs as references for my illustrations or I browse through the internet until I have about 2-4 photographs, which match the picture in my head and which I merge into one drawing on the piece of paper in front of me. 


I hope to illustrate many more books and touch the heart of lots more people. 

If you would like to be part of our journey LIKE our facebook page and stay in touch. The book is being printed at this very moment and will be launched on the 1st of December 2012 in Gladstone, Australia. Casey Burns and I are so excited to finally hold the very first copy of the book in our hands. We only met 6 weeks ago on the day TODAY! It has been such an incredible and rewarding time for the two of us! 

If you would like to order a copy of the book you can easily do that here , which would be such a special gift to yourself or maybe even for someone else for Christmas. For every book that we sell we want to donate a percentage of the proceeds to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, who look after children with critical medical conditions. If you have any more questions, comments or feedback … we would love to hear from you!!! 

Make your world COLOURFUL and follow your dreams … 

Made with love 

Janie XOX

No comments:

Post a Comment